Friday, April 24, 2009

TV Commercials Damaging Young Women

Am I the only one who is turned off by the latest cellphone tv ad? I'm referring to the one where the dad walks in on the three girls, presumably his daughters, all holding cell phones. They have a brief conversation about his online dating experiences and the upshot is that his daughters are trying to set him up with a grandmother of one of their classmates.

His reply? "Wait. What does she look like?"

Yep.

His three young, impressionable daughters (one of whom is made to look fairly plain) ask about setting him up on a date. And his response is "what does she look like".

Am I the only one who finds this insulting? In the age of soap ads defending women of all ages/sizes/colors/whatever as the beautiful, wonderful creatures they are, do we really need a neanderthal ad like this one?

I know, I know. It's just an ad. And in some junior-high-male-mentality it's supposed to be funny.

But it shows just how insensitive and shallow people (o.k., MEN) can be - and this guy is talking to his daughters!

Advertising is so pervasive and can be so destructive when it hammers young women with the message that looks are the most important thing they have to offer. That appearance is the only thing that matters. That being physically attractive to a man is everything.

Is this really the message this vendor wants to sell? I guess I'm just not the target demographic - I am, after all, not a junior-high male.

But don't we owe our daughters better than this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFaCMUGq79k ?????

No comments:

Post a Comment